Electoral support and capacity development are part of UNDP’s democratic governance assistance worldwide, through which UNDP helps nations build democratic frameworks to improve representation, accountability and transparency for the benefit of citizens.
UNDP has a long-standing partnership with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) and the Center for Continuous Electoral Training (CCET) aiming at advancing the democratic electoral processes in Moldova by consolidating the transparency and efficiency of elections’ management, modernization of electoral IT solutions and enhancing the inclusiveness and participation of voters. This partnership, which spans over 10 years, resulted in the establishment of strong professional institutions, development of a modern State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE), the enhancement of the State Register of Voters’ accuracy and the design and implementation of effective long-term civic and voter education instruments.
Since 2017, the Project "Enhancing democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections” supports the Central Electoral Commission to enhance the transparency and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens. With the continuous UNDP assistance, the CEC demonstrated a high capacity of carrying out transparent, safe and “well-administered” elections (as attested by OSCE/ODIHR Observation Mission) throughout challenging electoral cycles, particularly the 2020 Presidential Elections, organized in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thus, based on the solid results achieved, UNDP will continue working with the Central Electoral Commission and the Centre for Continuous Electoral Training to ensure the finality and sustainability of the previous UNDP interventions aiming at setting up a solid and resilient system of democratic elections.
"Enhancing democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections” (phase II) is a Project that sets the overall goal to achieve an enhanced transparency and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens. During 2020 – 2023, the Project intends to support an increased inclusiveness of the electoral process by 1) strengthening the cyber-security and functionalities of the State Automated Information System “Elections”; 2) enhancing the political participation of citizens by setting up and implementing civic education and voter’s information programmes; 3) strengthening the capacities for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political parties financing; and 4) improving the legal and regulatory framework to respond to the Election Observation Missions recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Associate will work under guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager to ensure smooth running of the Project, provision of administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country Office, as well as national beneficiaries and stakeholders. In addition, the Project Associate will assist Project Manager and other project personnel in implementation of day-to-day activities, as required.
The Project Associate will apply and promote the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Associate, under the guidance and supervision of Project Manager will perform the following tasks:
- Ensure compliance with all corporate rules and regulations and donor requirements in the field of financial planning, expenditures tracking, reporting and auditing;
- Monitor Project budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved Project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare/clear requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments; ensure the payments are done in accordance with the Project Work Plan and approved budgets;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions based on inputs from other Project personnel;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and Project budget status reports;
- Prepare periodical procurement and inventory reports;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the Government and UNDP with respect to financial aspects of the Project, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Monitor the cost-recovery charges;
- Perform necessary checks of the financial reports submitted by sub-contracted project implementers;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Calculate and process travel-related entitlements and payments ensuring compliance with UNDP travel policies and procedures;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Creates vouchers in ATLAS, if delegated by the Country Office;
- Support the procurement processes by contribution to development of requirements and ToRs for goods and services, involvement in the proposals’ evaluations and contracts’ negotiation and issuance;
- Coordinate the use of Long-Term Agreements;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, accommodation, etc.);
- Assist the Project management in recruitment processes and performance management of IC consultants;
- Administer processes on human resources management, acting as Leave Monitor, maintaining the attendance records for all project personnel, and monitoring of and reporting on payroll expenses;
- Assist other project personnel in all administrative-related matters, such as logistics support to different events organized by the Project, drafting and translation of the minutes for these events and, coordination of field visits and international missions to the Project;
- Draft and translate relevant correspondence;
- Prepare periodical reports on logistical arrangements and expenses.
- Keep abreast of UNDP rules and regulations in the area of responsibility and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning;
- Provide inputs for elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with Project management.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standard;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions;
- Acts as a team player and facilitates teamwork;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish priorities, achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work related to the position (financial resources management);
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the financial resources management and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Project, managing data, reporting;
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to achieve results and deadlines in a timely manner, maintaining a high standard thourghout.
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics, finance, accounting, business administration, or other related field.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other relevant area is required;
- At least three years of previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO or previous experience with UNDP is compulsory.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO, or previous experience with UNDP in the implementation of international, preferably large scale, projects, is a strong advantage;
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and/or finance is an advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS System is an advantage.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Romanian is required;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
- This position requires working closely with the independent Central Electoral Commission. This post is therefore only available to applicants who are, and are seen to be, politically neutral.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP is an employer committed to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both male and female.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.