Opening Date: 14 April 2021
Closing Date: 27 April 2021
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarianprinciples. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity& gender balance and encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s Site Maintenance team and enable the delivery of professional, client-focused services? Are you ready to partner with managers to deliver effective Site Maintenance Services that will change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for an experienced Site Maintenance Assistant (Electrician) to be based in Nyala, Sudan, to be hired on a Service Contract at the SC 4 level.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Sudan has the potential to reach millions of food insecure people across Sudan – with a total of 7.8 million people assisted in 2020. WFP Sudan, one of the largest and complex operations for WFP globally, is currently rolling out its five-year Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), which aims to provide emergency assistance through a hybrid approach (Cash, food and vouchers), along with life-changing types of programmes (Nutrition, Resilience and School Feeding).
To provide a full range of skilful site maintenance services including installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment/appliances to support safe, comfortable and reliable working environment.
7. Identify any unsafe installations, or working practices associated with air conditioners and other electrical equipment and take corrective measures.
8. Keep and maintain a logbook for all generators in the area office premises as well as national grid consumption monitoring.
9. Perform regular and ad-hoc installations, repairs and maintenance of electrical systems and components ensure all installations meet established safety standards.
10. Support deployment of and provide technical supervision to external contractors to facilitate efficient and cost-effectiveness in services or intervention for any major electrical installations, maintenance, and repairs.
11. Contribute to evaluation of required installations/Repairs work, compare prices of materials. Contribute to planning of future preventive maintenance work to support efficient and cost effectiveness of site maintenance services.
12. Assist in maintaining accurate inventory records through physical check and maintenance of lists/database and arrange disposal of identified equipment and materials, strictly following WFP assets management guidelines.
13. Compile and provide accurate reports on works undertaken, services provided, materials procured and used for installations/repairs including accurate generators fuel logbook to support accurate accounting and enable efficient planning for future works/services.
14. Perform any other related duties as required by direct supervisor, also to alternate as applicable and when need with admin staffs.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Demonstrated qualification in electricity. Completion of technical/vocational school or electrical certification is desirable.
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible and proven effective experience in planning and executing specialized electrical installations, maintenance and repair work, and at least one year at G3 level or equivalent.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Good knowledge of how to read and understand blue prints and technical diagrams.
• Knowledge of safety precautions.
• Ability to inspect and evaluate equipment/appliances and resolve malfunctioning quickly including ability to perform tests and use the results to diagnose problems.
• Ability to carry out installation of the equipment/appliances expertly and sometimes under difficult and awkward physical circumstances.
• Ability to use hand and power tools.
• Ability to multi-task and respond simultaneously and in a timely fashion to job requirements.
• Ability to maintain accurate and precise records.
• High sense of responsibility and punctuality.
• Honesty and integrity.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing and draft various correspondence.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to work in a team and provide technical supervision to other staff.
Language: Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Closing date: 27 April 2021