UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The current GOI-UNDP Country Programme Action Plan (2018-2022) envisages UNDP support to fast track implementation of government programmes at state and local government level to support governments improve last mile service delivery. To provide demand based technical support and assistance for capacity development in line with the needs of the government, UNDP had decided to expand its outreach in the states.
UNDP Uttarakhand State Office is working in close partnership with Government of Uttarakhand in providing technical support in Uttarakhand State Rural Livelihoods Mission, Center for Public Policy and Good Governance , Doubling Farmers’ Income strategy document and field study, Development of Livelihoods Promotion mobile App etc. UNDP state office is also working on several COVID relief initiatives and pilots in the state which have a component of livelihoods promotion in the area.
To support these initiative at the state level, UNDP is planning to hire a Individual Consultant – Value chain and Marketing, to work directly under the supervision of Head of State Office and will cover a broad range of programmatic and operational issues to support development programmes in the State.
S/he works in close collaboration with the state government reporting to the State Head providing coordination support to UNDP’s efforts on programme formulation, Implementation, proposal development and portfolio build up at the state level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the State Head, the Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Consultations through Video conferencing with UNDP and USRLM officials to arrive at list of commodities and geographical area and seek the approval of same.
- Consultation through various information delivery channels with UNDP and other line departments in order to identify and finalize the list of commodities.
- Support in establishment of Market Linkages for Farm and Non-farm rural/SHG products under various projects and initiatives under UNDP.
- To create an sustainable model to create working capital requirement for SHG Federation.
- Prepare concept note and proposal determining the concept, researching, organizing, ideas gathering, formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining approvals.
- Undertake desk/secondary review, market research, price fluctuation trend analysis and research on other prior & current efforts and initiatives in order to realize and find out major bottlenecks & challenges.
- Preparing Marketing Framework with roles and responsibilities for all the stakeholders at State, District, Block and Community levels.
- Develop Capacity Development plans for Marketing activities under the Mission.
- To Design capacity building and development programs for stakeholders and beneficiaries under various initiatives by state and UNDP as well.
- Preparing Monitoring and Evaluation framework for Marketing Component under USRLM.
- Provide technical inputs based on available data and analysis and thereby guide for integration of above M&E framework into IT/IoT solutions, MIS systems or other products being developed towards the same.
- Draft proposal content including executive summary, technical sections, management and staffing sections, risk assessment, etc. Inculcate the comments and Inputs of both government and UNDP in the process of proposal development Synthesize raw content from various sources into a cohesive and comprehensive content in a detailed, factual and convincing manner.
- Develop the Marketing Strategy for component wise activities and inclusive of project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
- Identifying all the actors involved in the value chain analyzed as well as their linkages, role, and added value.
- Identifying which elements of the chain could/should be strengthened for developing strong linkages between production and market actors and for the producers to be able to capture larger share of the gross margins.
- Locate which elements represent barriers or obstacles to overcome.
- Ensure final submission document is of high quality which is compliant with the requirements and quality standards of UNDP and the donor regulations and instructions in the solicitation guidelines.
- Map out existing livelihood related support that exists in the target districts/communes and facilitate a dialogue with districts about ways in which they can be more effectively integrated into the sub-national development planning process.
- Identify, from the global, regional and national good practices, livelihood adaptation measures that can be introduced through this initiative.
- Design a strategy to enhance a coordinated approach to livelihood initiatives and the development of local poverty reduction strategies that help to attain the SDGs. This may include: a) Identify outstanding needs in relation to the development of policy, guidelines, and strategy as it relates to livelihood and poverty reduction initiatives, including a review of Poverty Assessments/Poverty Mapping, while ensuring integration of all relevant SDGs
- Support and promote a coordinated approach to the development of cross sectoral livelihoods efforts in early recovery contexts and beyond.
- Support the development of livelihoods initiatives within the context of local level reintegration programmes.
- Monitor the needs of the affected populations, environment and other relevant concerns that need to be taken into account to ensure that livelihood and poverty reduction initiatives are sustainable including establishing priority targets and indicators.
- Monitor activities and discourse related to livelihood issues, and ensure relevant databases are maintained.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Should have exposure to social mobilization processes. tools and techniques.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Excellent analytical skills particularly with social processes.
- Good communication and drafting skills
Management and Leadership
- Ability to work in a team and train staff on the job on social mobilization tools
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
- Demonstrated willingness to work on poverty issues and the affected community
- Suitable orientation to work with the deprived sections in the rural areas, vulnerability and livelihoods
- Specific domain understanding
- Management &Leadership skills
- Mentoring &Mobilization skills
- Communication, Training, Presentation &Language skills
Required Skills and Experience
Required Experiences, Competencies and Skills
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Development Studies ,Rural Management, Rural Development, Agri Business Management, MBA-Marketing or closely related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a lead concepts & proposal designing and development in the development sector especially in the economic empowerment livelihoods, women empowerment. & inclusive growth.
- Proven demonstrable experience in writing large scale competitive proposals, evidenced by customer and donor feedback and proposal win rate.
- Excellent research and writing skills with proven technical writing skills and track record of creating compelling, clear, and succinct documents.
- Ability to structure arguments in a logical fashion and to balance technical rigor with simple explanations.
- Proven ability to cultivate consensus, multitask, and be flexible and responsive to quickly changing demands.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to write about complex topics as well as understand, analyze and visualize data in easy to grasp ways.
- Strongly detail oriented, with demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work under stringent proposal submission deadlines.
- Familiarity and/or expertise in M&E frameworks and methodologies.
- Providing inputs for designing related M&E and MIS systems will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work directly or remotely with the varied teams.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Fluency in English and working language of the duty station.
- Significant working experience in Government, Private Sector or relevant multilateral institutions.
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices.
- Travel within the state and districts would be required.
Schedule of Payments:
- Consolidated Annual Consultancy Fee (Remuneration) of Rs 1,00,000/ per month payable in equal monthly instalments, upon submission of monthly progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Contract will be administered by UNDP.
- The consultant will report to UNDP State Head, Uttarakhand.
- Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non-encashable).
- The incumbent will arrange to procure his/her own laptop.
- Personal CV, indicating all experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
Evaluation and ranking will be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification: 30 Marks;
- Relevant Experience: 40 Marks;
- Interview: 30 Marks
Candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% (49 marks) of 70 marks will be eligible to appear for the interview. Top scoring candidates (out of total 100 marks) will be sent offer of consultancy in order of ranking.
Interview for the shortlisted candidates would be either conducted face to face in Dehradun or by telephone / over skype.