Against the backdrop of a severe economic crisis, political turmoil, and an already overwhelmed health system caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, and the 4th of August tragic blast, vulnerable communities in Lebanon are pushed further into hardship and despair, including the country's Palestine refugee community.
Supporting Palestinian Refugees is a vital component of maintaining peace and stability in a highly uncertain environment. LPDC is working closely with UNRWA, WHO and the Lebanese Government to ensure continued access to health, social and other services, while the immediate humanitarian intervention unfolds.
In this regard, LPDC is supporting multi-partner efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 by coordinating an emergency response plan that makes available adequate Isolation Centres, support for hospital care, in an environment in which hospital beds and space in Intensive Care Units have become even more scarce. It is also critical to reinforce measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, through testing, access to healthcare, clean water and sanitation, as well as effective management of suspected and confirmed cases in quarantine and Isolation Centres. This plan complements the national COVID-19 response, especially in light of widespread pre-existing health conditions among refugees and the sub-standard living conditions many of them face.
As part of its support to the Palestinian Refugees’ community in the Camps and Gatherings in Lebanon, the UNDP/LPDC will equip and support several hospitals in Saida, Ain Al Helweh Camp, Bekaa, Tyre and Beddawi areas to increase their capacities to better respond to COVID 19 pandemic.
In this context, UNDP requires the services of Three (3) Biomedical Engineers to provide technical support to the LPDC Covid-19 project.
The Biomedical Engineer(s) will perform the following tasks:
- Needs Assessment Phase:
- Conduct site visits to hospitals and isolation centres and provide the minutes of the visits.
- Assess the needs of the sites and provide the needs assessment reports in terms of medical equipment, biomedical and MEP works based on WHO Covid-19 guidance standards.
- Review existing medical architectural designs and drawings of the hospitals and Isolation Centres.
- Report and provide recommendations on the following:
- Design Brief/ Architecture,
- Vertical & horizontal Circulations,
- Waste Management,
- Infection Control,
- Space Program,
- Schematic and developed architectural Design Drawings,
- Equipment and Furniture Loaded Drawings.
- Feasibility Study Phase:
- Develop new designs and drawings when necessary including MEP, Biomedical, Laundry, etc...
- Develop the technical specifications of the needed medical equipment and supplies.
- Develop the technical specifications of the HVAC systems and other works related to Biomedical.
- Provide detailed BOQs, list of potential bidders, and the cost estimates of works and goods needed as well as other documents required for the bids.
- During Bidding Phase:
- Provide technical input on bidders’ clarifications and quality assurance team’s clarifications.
- Review, participate, and validate the evaluation of offers and provide feedback and advice to LPDC.
- Implementation Phase:
- Participate in the site handovers. Prepare the minutes of site handover from biomedical perspective.
- Attend continuous meetings with all stakeholders in action.
- Review all submittals and monitor the quality of biomedical works and goods.
- Monitor the biomedical works’ implementation and the deliveries of goods and services.
- Support the project during the installation of the medical equipment.
- Support the hospitals during the trainings on the medical equipment.
- Provide weekly work progress reports.
- Take photos of the biomedical works and goods.
- Report any delay or corrective measures.
- Clear the progress payments of biomedical works and medical goods.
- Final Phase:
- Review the commissioning and variation orders of biomedical works and medical goods.
- Prepare for the site handover in terms of biomedical works and deliver the final report.
- Clear the final payments of contractors and suppliers.
- Knowledge of Covid-19 preventive technical and medical tools and solutions.
- Knowledge of WHO Covid-19 standards and guidance.
- Knowledge of medical technologies and innovative medical equipment.
- Ability to work independently and with a team to meet deadlines.
- Careful measurement and analytical skills.
- Excellent command in Arabic and English languages.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Knowledge of the UN preferable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering
Years of Experience:
- 5 years of professional experience in Biomedical Engineering in hospitals.
- 5 years of experience in renewable energy studies.
- Experience in designing medical architectures and solutions (HVAC systems, negative/positive pressures, Medical gases, waste management, Networking, etc.)
- Previous experience in hospital equipping studies and works planning and monitoring.
- Previous experience with UNDP or any other UN agency is a must.
How to apply:
The consultancy is open for all national consultants who meet the selection criteria and propose a competitive fee. Interested consultants are requested to apply only through this UNDP jobs portal. Submissions through any other media will not be considered.
The application must include all of the following documents:
- 1. P11,
- 2. Annex 3 (Offerors Letter) and
- 3. Financial proposal
All files shall be submitted in one single document and uploaded as word or PDF file to the UNDP job site.
It has been observed that bidders don’t submit all requested documents and thus reducing their chance to be selected for a contract with UNDP. before you submit your offer please revise that the application is complete and comprises all documents.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.