Position Title : Finance Officer
Duty Station : IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Finance and Budget Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for providing financial and budgetary services support for the Country Office in accordance with IOM financial regulations, rules and procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Establish work priorities and coordinate the accounts payable activities in consultation with higher-level staff to ensure that payments are processed efficiently and timely; and adequate internal controls are in place.
Support the revision, development and implementation of new/revised work methods, standard operating procedures and systems relating to finance.
Ensure the accurate and timely processing of payments related to the procurement of goods and services, salaries and other staff benefits and entitlements, travel and meetings.
Verify payments to be in compliance with the existing financial regulations, rules, policies, procedures and accounting practices.
Act as a contact point for staff members throughout IOM Libya, external counterparts, providing information and guidance to facilitate the processing of all financial transactions.
Resolve any transactional issues and inquiries from counterparts.
Review exceptional financial transactions and serve as escalation point where necessary.
Perform preliminary analytical reviews and continuous monitoring of quality of services and process controls.
Reconcile assigned general ledger accounts regularly, prepare accounting entries/adjustments to be posted into SAP PRISM. and contribute to the periodic and year-end closure activities.
Review existing business processes and propose improvements to higher-level staff to ensure efficiency of operations and full utilization of the ERP system.
Ensure adequate application of IOM’s administrative instructions and application of internal control procedures to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud. Alert the supervisor in a timely manner of unusual or irregularities regarding transactions, and delays impacting timely reporting.
Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreement.
Assist with audits and verifications and other ad-hoc reports by ensuring that required documentation is available in a timely and effective manner including archived documents.
Assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of account payables.
Apply various systems and tools to ensure adequate internal controls and zero tolerance form is conduct throughout projects implementation.
Liaise with relevant units in the implementing Country Offices, Headquarters, Regional Office and Administrative Centres in Manila and Panama, with regard to financial activities.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Administration, Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in finance, accounting or financial and operational management services; • Experience with ERP systems (Oracle, SAP) is highly desirable.
• Ability to prepare concise and clear reports;
• Knowledge of IOM/United Nations (UN) regulations, policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
The position will be in Tunis, Tunisia; with possibility of relocation to Libya if and when the situation is conducive.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 March 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 03.03.2021 to 16.03.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 46 Finance Officer (P2) IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia (56882146) Released
Posting: Posting NC56882147 (56882147) Released