The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a
Sustainable Finance Junior Consultant
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF Team. The team is based in the new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany and the CIFOR headquarters in Indonesia. The GLF Team is responsible for delivery of all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community. The GLF is the world’s largest intersectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move toward more resilient, climate?friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UNEP and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly toward the overall achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate agenda.Since 2013, over 180,000 stakeholders from more than 4400 organizations and 185 countries have engaged with the GLF in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples’ organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and youth. The GLF is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Over the next 4 years, with the support of core funding from the German Government and with the support of core, co?founding partners, such as UNEP and the World Bank, the GLF will expand the discussion to a larger audience than ever before, and place communities at the center of the conversation.The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and scientists can share, learn, connect and act together. From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to conserving and restoring peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, the Global Landscapes Forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate targets and SDGs. Together we will create a global force to contribute to achieving the SDGs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do if we all work together.GLF is engaged in mainstreaming sustainable finance for nature-based solutions. After four successful GLF Investment Case symposiums (London in 2015 and 2016, Washington in 2018 and Luxembourg in 2019), GLF is increasing its efforts on sustainable finance and value chains through strategic partnerships with various partners. In the coming years, GLF will continue partnering leading financial organizations globally to share good practices and lessons learned on financial innovations for sustainable landscapes.
Duties and responsibilities
The Sustainable Finance Junior Consultant will be key in supporting the development of knowledge products and tailor-made events for mainstreaming sustainable finance for nature-based solutions.
Under the supervision of the GLF Managing Director and the GLF Sustainable Finance Lead, the GLF Sustainable Finance Junior Consultant will perform the followings tasks:
- Support the technical design of a 5th GLF Investment Case symposium, including providing technical advice to shape specific sessions, mobilize speakers, develop knowledge products, etc.
- Build technical content for a Community of Practice on Sustainable Finance (CoP) for nature-based solutions
- Support implementation of new partnerships on sustainable finance and value chains, and help produce knowledge material jointly with partner organizations to mainstream sustainable finance for nature-based solutions
- Provide additional support on demand, including in the framework of other key programs involving GLF, such as the GEF-7 FOLUR program.
- Support all GLF issues related to sustainable finance and value chains, including for sessions, panels, knowledge products design, etc. as part of broader GLF events.
Education, knowledge and experience
- University degree in a related discipline (environmental finance and economics, sustainable finance, business management and development, international development, environmental studies, international relations, etc.)
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working on sustainable finance, and ideally in multistakeholder processes in developing countries or on projects with a focus on sustainable landscapes
- Good understanding of international development and/or environment policy processes
- Experience in working with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or Rio conventions (CBD, UNFCCC, UNCCD) policy processes is an asset
- Fluency in English and French is essential; other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Self-motivated, resourceful, energetic, flexible and adaptable
- Adept at networking and meeting new people from different cultures
- Creative problem solver
- Independent and able to work with minimal supervision, but also to be a team player
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and have outstanding interpersonal communication skills
- Diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to maintain attention to detail.
Terms and conditions
- This is a part-time consultancy position.
- Period of the consultancy is expected to be March - November 2021.
- Working locations: home-based, preferably in Luxembourg or any areas inside a CET time zone.To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.orgCIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
The application deadline is 07 Mar-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Sorry, this job is no longer available.