The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Unit of CIMMYT. The Legal Counsel will be responsible for the Contract Life Cycle Management (development, drafting, review, negotiation, amendment and release, quality control, and archiving) of a wide array of agreements entered by CIMMYT with its national and international (private and public) partners and service providers, globally. Provide legal counsel and advice for CIMMYT’s research, institutional and corporate activities in different jurisdictions.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Execute and implement the Contract Life Cycle Management (development, drafting, review, negotiation, amendment and release, quality control, and archiving) of a wide array of agreements entered by CIMMYT with its national and international (private and public) partners and service providers, globally. Including the conduction of the Legal and Risk assessments. . Including the maintenance of the Legal Contractual Risk Matrix and the Grant Obligation Matrix in coordination with other Service Areas.
- Research and analyze treaties, laws, regulations, policies, and procedures from a variety of legal areas and jurisdictions where CIMMYT operates to ensure its compliance, to provide legal counsel and advice in diverse areas, including all areas related to corporate, criminal, regulatory, labor, tax, administrative and litigation legislation, drafting legal opinions, notes, letters, memoranda, and other legal documents.
- Ensure that CIMMYT is up to date with any legal and regulatory requirements in Mexico and the diverse jurisdictions it operates.
- Ensure proper follow up of entrusted matters, tracking these in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used to prepare the progress update to the relevant areas and the timely completion of ticketing systems requests for the review and drafting of various agreements and legal matters.
- Suggestion, implementation, and monitoring of the continuous improvement of Contract Life Cycle processes, including but not limited to automation of processes, creation of templates, continued implementation, and improvement of dashboards and KPI monitoring tools, optimization of contract processes, procedures, and guidelines.
- Provide legal support and advice regarding institutional compliance in the context of all legislation arising from different legal frameworks.
- Represent CIMMYT before different Government Agencies. Represent the Legal Department and CIMMYT before different authorities and forums.
- Support the corporate governance functions, issuance and management of PoAs, drafting, formalizing minutes, and other CIMMYT Statutory obligations.
- Oversight of Staff, interns, and consultants engaged in the Contract Life Cycle, and coordination and supervision of Outside Counsel.
- Prepare educational materials for Staff and stakeholders in support of institutional research policies and procedures. Support the drafting, review, implementation, communication, and update of legal policies and procedures of CIMMYT.
- Support the Compliance Function.
- Perform other related tasks within the job level as may be requested by the immediate supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- The selected candidate must have a Bachelors Degree in Law, a Masters Degree/LL.M. in Corporate, International or IP Law are desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in similar roles or activities. Additional experience or knowledge in private and public sector industry related to agricultural R&D, biotechnology is a plus.
- Advanced level of English. English will be tested, and the candidate should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- Excellent organizational, writing, research, and communication skills, including the writing and communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal concepts to lay (non-legal) stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe software. Experience with ticketing systems software is desirable.
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Collaboration, People Management, Customer Orientation, Proactivity, Problem Solving, and Achievement Orientation.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M21126 Legal Counsel. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, March 1, 2021. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Perez (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.