University of Global Health Equity is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new kind of university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Center for Gender Equity at University of Global Health Equity was launched in 2020 and is responsible for mainstreaming of gender in UGHE’s academic, research, community engagement and organizational development activities. The Center is also responsible for directing a Gender and Social Justice Course for UGHE’s Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Surgery program (MBBS), as well as other long- and short-term trainings on gender and global health issues including a Concentration on Gender, Sexual and Reproductive Health under the Master of Global Health Delivery (MGHD) program.
The lecturer will be responsible for developing and assisting with the design and delivery of long and short courses/ trainings to various stakeholders, including UGHE’s students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
Title: Lecturer for the Center for Gender Equity
Reports to: Chair, Center for Gender Equity
Location: Butaro and Kigali, Rwanda
Role Purpose: Under the guidance of the Chair for the Center for Gender Equity (CGE) and the senior faculty of CGE, the junior faculty will research, compile and develop training and course materials, participate in the delivery of trainings for MBBS, nursing and Masters students as well as UGHE’s executive training programs on nursing, gender and global health.
Assist with Curriculum Development and Teaching (60%)
- Assist with preparation of course outlines and course content on gender and reproductive health issues for University of Global Health’s academic programs for students and staff
- Assist with delivery of training for students, faculty and other relevant stakeholders on gender, social justice and sexual and reproductive health issues
- Assist with grading student assignments and exams
Supervising and Mentoring (10%)
- Mentor and guide students through their learning as well as ongoing professional growth
Assist and engage in collaborative Research (20%)
- Engage/ collaborate in the Center’s research activities
- Assist with and partake in research on gender and global health issues
Organizational Development (10%)
- Collaborate with the Center’s Chair and other key personnel at UGHE in the development, implementation and improvement on plans for the Center for Gender Equity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- MA in Gender Studies or Reproductive Health Science related field
- Excellent academic record
- Minimum of 2 years of teaching experience
- 1-2 year work experience in Sexual and Reproductive Health and/or gender-related programs
- Preferable experience working in Rwanda
- Preferable experience working in an academic institution
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation
- Ability to work both collaboratively and
- Commitment to gender equity and equality
- Commitment to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of pedagogical strategies
- Research skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
BENEFITS: As per UGHE’s salary scale
Applicants should provide: (1) curriculum vitae, (2) graduate transcripts, (3) a list of relevant trainings delivered or designed
University of Global Health Equity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.