Main purpose of position
ICARDA designs and implements research projects that are funded by a diverse set of donors. The Grants Finance Officer (GFO) provides financial management and administration support to scientists in the development and management of research projects, from the development of proposals to donors, the start of a new grant, its management, reporting, and closure. The GFO liaises with colleagues in Finance, Procurement and other departments to facilitate project management.
The position reports to the Grant Finance Manager in the Finance Department.
For a set of grants assigned to her/him the Grant Finance Officer is expected to :
- Support budget monitoring and expense utilization for assigned grants, by regularly monitoring the project budget and expenditure and providing advice on potential adjustments; regularly review compliance with agreement provisions and validity of outstanding commitments.
- Prepare accurate and timely periodic reports and invoices to donors and other stakeholders for assigned grants.
- Coordinate the budget development of assigned proposals by supporting the project leader in the development of a realistic and donor compliant budget for new research project proposals. Ensure that the proposal is properly costed and compliant with both the Full Cost Recovery Policy of ICARDA and the donor guidelines.
- Facilitate the preparation and upload of the annual Plan of Work and Budget (POWB) and corresponding budget for the approved grant into the ERP. Prepare budget amendments as needed.
- Support the financial management of subgrants for assigned grants (due diligence, agreement, budgets, payments, financial reports and audits).
- Ensure quality of administrative actions for assigned grants e.g. purchase requisitions for capital assets.
- Support grant management of assigned grants to ensure compliance and minimize financial risks and support the Project Leader in seeking amendments to the grants budget or adjustment of expenses as necessary.
- Facilitate donor and other audits for assigned grants.
- Any other task in agreement with Supervisor and in particular, stand in for other Grant Finance Officer whenever necessary.
Essential qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in either Accountancy, Commerce, Business Administration
- At least 5 years’ experience in Project Financial Management obtained in a consulting firm, an international organization or international NGO, or similar multi-project work environment;
- Accounting qualification – ACCA, CPA, CIA, CMA or equivalent;
- Experience with project budget development and monitoring and project administration;
- An effective and energetic team player, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- A good command of spoken and written English;
- Strong self-motivation and innovative skills;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel: and
- Experience with an ERP.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or a certificate from Project Management Institute or similar qualifications is an advantage;
This is a nationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to continued need for the position and satisfactory performance. The first year will be probationary period.
Please apply online no later than 28 of February 2021. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Sorry, this job is no longer available.