Procedures and Eligibility
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
Duties and Qualifications
Chief of APR Section
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The position is part of the Division of Human Resources (DHR), a strategic, trusted and innovative partner in enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern by attracting, motivating, retaining and developing a talented, diverse and agile workforce, while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect and wellbeing for all.
The Chief of Affiliate Partnerships and Recruitment Section (APRS) is a member of the Senior Leadership Team supporting the Assignments and Talent Mobilization (ATMS) Head of Service. He/she will provide leadership, strategic direction and implementation for UNHCR's People Strategy in the area of staffing through strategic partnerships, recruitment and risk mitigation. The incumbent will oversee all recruitment related functions and provide supervision of day-to-day functions and procedures, while ensuring adherence to established policies and processes.
The function leads the work to design, build, and evolve an integrated global talent acquisition and sourcing capability at UNHCR, including strategic alignment and full cycle recruitment. This is a high impact role in the attraction of talent to ensure the UNHCR global workforce has the skills and capabilities needed to successfully carry out its mandate.All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.Duties
- Act as a key partner to the HR community, in proactively defining and implementing the talent sourcing needs and strategies to ensure the right people are in the place at the right time in partnership with all relevant stakeholders and according to industry best practices.
- Lead UNHCR's external talent acquisition and sourcing efforts and selection process, positioning the organization as an employer of choice in the humanitarian sector by, inter alia, leveraging technology and virtual solutions to create a positive candidate experience and strengthen the UNHCR employer brand in targeted outreach and overall employer positioning, within the organizational strategic objectives of diversity and inclusion, nationality and gender benchmarks in the talent acquisition strategic efforts.
- Lead the Section¿s engagement on UNHCR¿s HR Digital solution implementation in strong partnership with the project team and colleagues in HR Systems & People Analytics Section (HRSPAS) to ensure that UNHCR has the right technical solutions for talent acquisition and sourcing.
- Work in close integration with relevant sections mainly ATMS, GLDC/TDPS and HRSS/PAS to unify approaches and procedures to ensure coherence in recruitment and onboarding process.
- Collaboration across DHR and forming partnerships.
- Work with Operations to identify and understand their Affiliate Workforce needs and develop the appropriate solutions for the context.
- Manage all units in the Section to ensure organizational strategies for acquiring talent under the Talent Pool, JPO, UNV, UNOPS and monitor the use of consultants and interns.
- Develop and monitor metrics to assess the achievement of recruitment, retention, placement and other outcomes.
- Simplify end to end recruitment processes, with coordinated and streamlined workflows.
- Provide guidance, consultation and assistance to both management and staff on various risk matters such as selection, grading, reference checking and other liability issues.
- Represent UNHCR in the working groups/task forces within UN inter-agency on issues related to the functions.
- Perform other related duties as required.Minimum Qualifications
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degreeField(s) of Education
Business Administration; Human Resources; Public Administration or other relevant field
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential) Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential) Relevant Job Experience
1. Excellent client orientation and an affinity for leading and transcending the impact of the section's work throughout the organization in partnerships with others.
2. Management of programs and staff in an employee-oriented culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, retention and development, and high performance.
3. Strong people management skills and the ability to interact effectively and independently with staff and managers at all levels.
4. Demonstrated excellent knowledge of human resources principles and best practices specifically in the field of talent acquisition, recruitment or assignments.
5. Strong leadership skills to mobilize and energize the team to deliver excellent results in alignment with strategic needs, yet comfortable dealing with ambiguity and managing dynamically changing, competing priorities and deadlines.
1. Relevant experience, ability, and judgment to conceptualize, design and implement effective and innovative talent acquisition, recruitment and staffing strategies to meet the workforce and diversity objectives of UNHCR.
2. Relevant experience in leveraging technology, robotics and artificial intelligence for talent acquisition and experience implementing digital solutions for HR.
3. Strong strategic vision for establishing world class talent acquisition and sourcing.
4. Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes.
5. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
6. Knowledge of international organizational or UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations, staffing, and grading.
7. Knowledge of risk oversight principles.
8. Excellent networking skills to build and further develop a network of agencies and organizations within and outside the UN.
9. Familiarity with data systems and analysis. Functional Skills
HR-Recruitment & Vacancy Management procedures
HR-Recruitment strategies/cohort recruitment/e-recruitment systems
UN-UN/UNHCR Human Resources Rules, Regulations, Policies and Procedures
MG-Team building (development/facilitation)
HR-Recruitment - Sourcing, Selection and Recruitment of candidates
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential) Language Requirements
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
X003L4 - Technological Awareness Level 4
X009L4 - Change Capability and Adaptability Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies advertised in this addendum is Tuesday 2 February 2021 (mid-night Geneva time).