The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and financial aspects of the Union's activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union's activities including conferences, the coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
| Organization Unit: |
Within the General Secretariat, the Strategic Planning and Membership Department (SPM) advises the Secretary-General on strategic challenges and their implications for the Union in the fast evolving telecommunications/ICT environment; develops forward-looking strategic proposals to the ITU management team with a view to ensuring that the organization meets the objectives assigned by the membership; plans and coordinates the corporative and strategic activities with a view to ensuring their accordance with membership objectives; organizes and provides secretariat services to the Plenipotentiary Conference, Council, and other meetings in the general secretariat in order to achieve a high level of involvement from Member States and Sector Members, develops and maintains sound relations with Member States, Sector Members and other entities, the UN and other international organizations. The Department is also responsible for providing expert advice on communication and promotion strategies and for developing and implementing the Union's corporate communication plan in cooperation with the three Sectors with a view to promoting ITU leadership in the field of telecommunications and ICT.
| Duties / Responsibilities |
|Under the supervision of the Head, Member State Relations and Governance (MSRG) Division, the incumbent will perform the following duties: |
- Coordinate the administrative process for Documents Control and the accreditation and registration of participants in conferences and meetings of the General Secretariat.
- Draft and coordinate the secretariat document plans for conferences and meetings; coordinate the approval and eventual modification of documents; ensure that their publication is aligned in the six official languages using the applicable IT platform and tools.
- Identify and streamline documentation needs; prepare budgetary forecasts based on the estimated volume and flow of documentation; prepare statistics on documentation for reports from the Secretary-General.
- Ensure the implementation, in collaboration with the Information Services (IS) Department, of IT tools for the creation and the management of conference documents and their publication on the website.
- Edit the content of contributions received for conferences and meetings; identify and determine the issues which require immediate attention of the Head of Division or the secretaries of conferences, committees, and groups.
- Ensure the approval and publication in the six official languages of the summary records and the reports of conferences and meetings; ensure the publication of the Final Acts of the conference, the Council Resolutions and Decisions and the Collection of the Basic Texts adopted by the Plenipotentiary Conference.
- Assist meeting participants in accessing online electronic documents and using online document tools by developing information and training materials.
- Coordinate participants accreditation and registration; authorize the requests for participants accreditation in line with the rules of participation utilizing the electronic systems; coordinate the set up of online registration via the appropriate website; supervise the participants registration team; participate in internal working group aiming to analyze and improve these processes.
- Prepare estimations regarding participation of delegations in GS conferences and meetings, as well as relevant statistics for reports from the Secretary-General.
- Act as focal point and collaborate closely with Conferences and Publications Department (C&P) for the preparation of General Secretariat meetings and conferences, in particular on logistical aspects and coordination between all involved services.
- Train the staff involved in conferences and meetings on working methods and specific tools used in the field of document processes and control as well as delegate registration.
- Draft invitation letters to conferences and meetings; ensure these letters are issued via CRM and published as required.
- Create and update webpages of conferences and meetings concerning documentation and the registration of participants and draft online newsletters.
- Contribute to streamline and digitalization of business processes for documentation management and registration with a view to offer high-quality and efficient services that meet the Union's membership expectations.
- Create and maintain a knowledge data base on the service's business processes and procedures.
- Perform any other related duties as requested by the supervisor.
| Competencies |
|Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing, and; Successful Management.Essential Technical Competencies: Ability to describe, summarize and analyze business and processes and propose improvement to automatize them as required in the field of conference document management and registration. Solid knowledge of document processing practices and procedures. Solid knowledge of using document processing, editing and publishing software and tools. Knowledge of using customers management relations tools, digital marketing tools, data analyst tools. Knowledge of web publishing tools. Ability to communicate and work with ITU Membership effectively and with tact and diplomacy Ability to understand and apply complex ITU conferences and meetings rules and procedures. Demonstrated ability to work independently, within an agreed framework of responsibility. Ability to work under pressure and concurrently on various tasks. Availability for long missions and flexible hours. |
|Qualifications required |
| Education: |
Complete secondary education with a diploma OR complete equivalent technical or commercial studies with a diploma. For internal candidates, obligatory schooling in combination with thirteen years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of complete secondary education with a diploma for promotion or rotation purposes.
| Experience: |
At least eight years of experience in the field of the post. (A maximum of three years of studies in the field of the post and in a recognized school may replace the required experience on the basis of one year of education for one year of experience.). Proven experience in supporting the secretariat of large international conferences.
| Languages: |
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage.
| Additional Information: |
Annual Salary (Net of Tax)
82,401.- CHF - 109,561.- CHF without dependants.
According to ITU Staff Regulations and Rules, appointments to posts in the General Service category are subject to local recruitment conditions.
| Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening. |
|For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link |
|Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration |
Sorry, this job is no longer available.