Position: Grants and M&E Manager
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan with travel in country
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Reports to: Program Director
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
Position Summary: The Grants and M&E Manager will be an integral member of the Grants Unit at RI Afghanistan. The Grants Unit serves as the facilitator for grants management processes in country and ensures compliance with donor requirements at all stages of the project lifecycle. The Grants Unit’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, ensuring timely and quality reporting, facilitating grant opening and closeout processes, maintaining grants related information and files, supporting proposal development processes, managing reporting deadlines and producing high-quality program reports and donor updates, and developing internal and external communication materials. He/she will also help support monthly grant review and budget review meetings in close collaboration with the Program Director, relevant Program Managers, and RI’s Finance Manager. Additionally, the Grants and M&E Manager will develop an M&E strategy for RI Afghanistan, help establish and manage a data collection system, and lead assessments and help co-facilitate regular lesson learned exercises and project reviews.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Grants Management & Reporting (40%)
- Liaise with RSO and GSO (Grants & Contracts) to ensure timely award and grant amendment processing
- Support the program, finance and operations team throughout the entire grant/project lifecycle. This includes:
- Ensure program involvement throughout budget development
- Work with the Program Director and relevant Program Managers to support mobilization of projects prior to award signature
- Support recruitment and procurement planning with program teams during mobilization and regular project/BVA reviews
- Support the facilitation of grant opening meetings, quarterly grant review meetings, and grant close out meetings in collaboration with the Finance Manager and Program Director
- Coordinate the development of sub-grant agreements and any subsequent modifications;
- Lead, follow up, and coordinate the timely close out of grant contracts
- Work closely with the program and finance teams to develop standard reporting templates, and a reporting calendar for all report submissions (establishing clear internal and external deadlines)
- Share email reminders each month with reporting templates that will support improved narrative and logframe reporting and timely donor submissions
- Maintain knowledge of grant agreement language and regulations, serving as a knowledge resource on assigned donors and escalating questions where needed.
- Raise compliance issues proactively with the Finance and Operations Manager, and Program Director.
- Must possess strong communication skills and should be confident meeting and engaging with donors along with the Program Director and Sector Leads
- Keep RI’s internal grant tracker updated with all relevant milestones, the status of grand amendments and/or extensions, and ensure essential documents are uploaded properly.
- Support the back up of important program documentation to RI’s internal server (Box) for Afghanistan Programs. This includes BVA review session meeting notes, spend down plans and work plans for all grants, and other project documentation.
M&E and general country program support (30%)
- Provide strategic inputs for the country program and lead the development of an M&E strategy
- Conduct an initial review of data collection tools and collection processes to support the development of project and country-level database
- Develop an assessment calendar, and lead on assessments for ongoing projects (general indicator reporting) as well as on new needs assessments (for future programming/opportunities)
- Support the emergency response program team with the implementation of RI’s beneficiary feedback mechanism
- Support indicator tracking and work with program managers and the Program Director to ensure regular review of project log-frames to ensure activities and achievements are on track
- Visit and monitor field activities to help mobilization and general implementation, and provide support to Program Managers as needed
- Contribute to project follow-up meetings and ensure adequate follow-up on agreed action points.
- Provide capacity building on grants related issues, documentation and visibility activities for field teams
Program Development (20%)
- Support the development of high quality proposals and budgets that are relevant and include input from key stakeholders (finance, operations, programs, partners, etc.). This may include leading needs assessments, compiling/editing of the technical narrative, incorporating feedback from a variety of stakeholders, writing budget narratives, drafting of required annexes, etc.
- Work closely with grant counterparts in DC and Manila to ensure coordination and adherence to proposal timelines and requirements.
- Conduct field brainstorming meetings (e.g. co-facilitate program design and lessons learned meetings) and synthesize informational for technical proposals, competitive positioning, and strategic decision-making
- Conduct regular donor mapping as needed, collating cross-sector information management and drafting funding requests in coordination with the Program Director.
- Participate in sector/cluster working groups in collaboration with technical program leads as needed.
- Develop capacity statements to facilitate regular donor communication and updates. This includes consolidated monthly “RI Afghanistan Country Updates” and grant/donor specific updates as needed.
- Ensure efficient and effective information management and communication on RI grants. This includes updating RSO and GCU colleagues on amendment processes, and communicating internally with Finance/Operations/Programs to ensure all stakeholders know where each grant stands.
- Participate in organizational level coordination and coordination calls
- Lead and facilitate the organization’s visibility activities in collaboration with field area offices and project mangers
- Maintain effective and professional communication with key stakeholders, partners and other organizations
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelor's or a extensive experience in international development, humanitarian studies, business, management or other sector-specific technical area
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in managing grants, especially large and/or consortium grants and developing programs in a humanitarian / development setting
- Wide experience in effective strategic level communication and coordination with national partners, central and local authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- In-depth knowledge of international development programming
- An understanding of society in Afghanistan
- Excellent writing and research skills and computer literacy, including previous proposal writing experience and success at winning public and private foundation/sector awards
- Strong budgeting and financial forecasting skills, including experience in preparing business plans
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently
- Fluency in English and strong English writing skills are required
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills
Relief International's Values:
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value: Inclusiveness
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation