Lecturer (Medical Education Track): Clinical Sciences Division
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Title: Lecturer (Medical Education Track)
Department: Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine
Reports to: Chair of Division of Clinical Medicine
Location: Butaro, Burera District, Rwanda
The Lecturer (Coordinator) in Medical Education at UGHE participates in development and delivery of curriculum in the clinical sciences in the UGHE MBBS/MGHD (medical degree) programme, and contributes to ongoing curriculum review and improvement. The lecturer will be given mentorship in research and medical education while working at the UGHE campus in Butaro.
- Work under the supervision of full-time and visiting faculty to determine content, lesson plans, and teaching responsibilities within the teaching team;
- Write and develop course materials inclusive of assessments, syllabi, lesson plans, readings and teaching videos and contribute to in class instruction in medical program courses;
- Supervise, examine and grade students and enter their grades to facilitate assessment of their performance and understanding of academic concepts;
- Ensure alignment of content and curriculum with UGHE’s plans and international standards;
- Where appropriate, develop revisions to existing courses and curriculum;
- Conduct various administrative responsibilities such as assessment of student progress, monitoring student attendance, validating candidature of students before exams, and evaluating the student experience at UGHE;
- Participate in teaching in the science lab and simulation center
- Participate in research at UGHE
- Carry out research activities with input from UGHE Faculty members and disseminate research findings through publications and presentations in conferences and seminars to contribute to scientific knowledge;
- Mentor UGHE students on research projects and advise them on study skills to ensure their projects are relevant and up to the University’s standards; and
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) or an equivalent degree earned in East Africa within the last five years;
- Fluency in spoken Kinyarwanda;
- Proven interest in medical education and scientific research;
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and Google suite;
- Solid foundation in medical curricular content;
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills;
- Ability to multitask, work well as a member of a team, and demonstrate flexibility in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to pay attention to detail and quality; and
- Results-oriented with adherence to deliverables and deadlines.
Interested candidates should submit 1) CV and 2) cover letter detailing interest and aptitude for this position.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.