The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Corporate Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Department under CSP (Corporate Services Program).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Execute and implement the Contract Life Cycle Management (development, drafting, review, negotiation, amendment and release, quality control and archiving) of grants, subgrants, research collaboration, consultancy, vendor, lease, host country, nondisclosure, and a wide variety of ad hoc agreements entered by CIMMYT with its national and international (private and public) partners and service providers, globally.
- Research and analyze treaties, laws, regulations, policies, and procedures from a variety of legal areas and jurisdictions where CIMMYT operates to ensure its compliance, to provide legal counsel and advice in diverse areas including all areas related to corporate, criminal, regulatory, labor, tax, administrative and litigation legislation, drafting legal opinions, notes, letters, memoranda and other legal documents. Conduct risk assessments and interact with national and international private and public sector entities.
- Ensure that CIMMYT is up to date with any legal and regulatory requirements in Mexico and the diverse jurisdictions it operates.
- Ensure proper follow up of entrusted matters, tracking these matters daily in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used in the preparation in the progress update to the relevant areas and the timely completion of ticketing systems requests for the review and drafting of diverse agreements and legal matters.
- Provide legal support in respect to institutional compliance in the context of all legislation arising from different legal frameworks.
- Represent CIMMYT before different Government Agencies in Mexico
- Support the corporate governance functions, issuance, and management of PoAs, drafting and formalization of minutes, and other CIMMYT Statutory obligations.
- Coordinate and supervise Outside Counsel.
- Prepare educational materials for Staff and stakeholders in support of institutional research policies and procedures. Support the drafting, review, implementation, communication and update of legal policies and procedures of CIMMYT.
- Support the Compliance Function.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by their supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Law related area is highly desirable.
- At least 5 years’ proven experience in corporate law, commercial/contract law in either a company or legal firm.
- Additional experience or knowledge in areas related to agriculture research and development in the private and/or public sectors is an advantage.
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal concepts in plain manner to lay (non-legal) stakeholders.
- Enough computer skills (at a minimum: Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat) and willingness to learn/master other programs and software as necessary.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish. English will be tested, and candidates should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Time Management, Flexibility/Adaptability, Customer Orientation, Proactivity, Teamwork, Achievement Orientation, Problem-Solving, and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M20171 Corporate Legal Counsel. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, January 4, 2021. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.