The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas: Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination DepartmentPartnerships for Digital Development DepartmentDigital Networks & Society DepartmentDigital Knowledge Hub Department
| Organization Unit: |
The Digital Knowledge Hub Department is responsible for providing best practices and information to support the public policy decisions of ITU Member States. This department provides a platform for the members, as well as for external entities such as researchers, the private sector and other development agencies, to obtain critical information on digital trends, information society developments and digital skills. In addition to consolidating ITU's position as the recognized global source for regulatory information and ICT data, this department is responsible for the work of ITU-D Study Groups. Finally, this department provides capacity and digital skills building programmes.
| Duties / Responsibilities |
|Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Capacity and Digital Skills Development Division (CDS), within the Digital Knowledge Hub Department (DKH), the incumbent will perform the following duties: |
- Implement and deliver all project outputs according to the established work plan, within the specified project tolerances of time, cost, quality, scope, risks and benefits.
- Develop detailed project implementation plans for the implementation of all activities, including training plans, project sustainability arrangements, and promotion strategies.
- Lead the development and the implementation of the project activities at the global level, at national level in each of the DTCs, and in the Ghana DTC in particular.
- Manage, monitor, supervise and evaluate the work of the Project Officer in Ghana and liaise closely with the project team in GIFEC, the implementing partner in Ghana.
- Support DTCs in developing and implementing stakeholder engagement strategies and plans at the national level.
- Ensure participation of all potential stakeholders in the project beneficiary countries, monitor adequate participation of target groups, and support the mobilization of national resources.
- Oversee the implementation of the governance for the DTC Initiative as prescribed in the governance structure.
- Design and implement the strategy for the second phase of the DTC Initiative, considering the experiences of Phase 1.
- Regularly review project status, evaluating performance criteria (scope, cost, schedule, and quality), documenting issues, and managing the risks that may be encountered throughout the implementation of the project.
- Prepare, in coordination with the ITU Project Support Division, necessary documents such as progress reports, financial reports and detailed narrative deemed necessary by the project Steering Committee on the project achievements and deliverables and ensuring that all conditions in the Partnership Agreement with Norway are respected during the implementation process.
- Assess the results of the project activities and evaluate their impact at the national level; propose modifications to the implementation plan, if required.
- Implement the project's communication and visibility plan.
- Prepare progress reports on project achievements and document best practices and lessons learnt during the implementation.
- Establish and maintain work relations with ITU colleagues, in particular from the Capacity and Digital Skills Development Division, other BDT Thematic Priorities and the ITU Regional Office for Africa, the Project Steering Committee, as well as external partners such as the ITU's Digital Transformation Centres (DTCs), in particular the DTC in Ghana, represented by the Ghana Investment Fund for Electronic Communications (GIFEC) and other partners to the DTC Initiative.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
| Competencies |
|Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Leadership; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing, and; Successful Management.Essential Technical Competencies: Ability to establish priorities and efficient work plans. Ability to communicate complex concepts orally and to prepare written material in a clear, concise and meaningful manner. Excellent knowledge of project cycle management (certification on project management). Proven project management skills, including budget, activity and data management, monitoring and performance evaluation. Ability to guide and supervise junior staff. |
|Qualifications required |
| Education: |
Advanced university degree in business administration, international development, social science, engineering, programme/project management, information technology, or any relevant area of study to support knowledge in programme/project management or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with ten years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
Certified Senior Project Manager - International recognized certification in project management (e.g. PMD Pro, IPMA, PMP - PMI or similar) is an asset for this position.
| Experience: |
At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in managing projects/programmes in the context of international development, including at least five at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience. Experience in the implementation of training and/or capacity development projects or activities in the field of digital development. Experience and knowledge of the conditions prevailing in the developing world and of technical cooperation activities.
| Languages: |
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
| Additional Information: |
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 73,516 + post adjustment $ 65,797
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to http://www.itu.int/en/careers/Pages/Conditions-of-Employment.aspx
| Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening. |
|For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link |
|Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration |
Sorry, it appears that this job is no longer open for application.