The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas: Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination DepartmentPartnerships for Digital Development DepartmentDigital Networks & Society DepartmentDigital Knowledge Hub Department
| Organization Unit: |
The Digital Networks & Society Department is responsible for BDT activities in the areas of spectrum management, network development, cybersecurity and emergency telecommunications. This department is also responsible for supporting ITU Member States in their transition to digital societies by providing tools and guidelines to address environmental challenges (in particular, climate change and e-waste), and for promoting innovation, ICT applications/services, digital inclusion and ecosystems, with the ultimate goal to 'leave no one behind'.
| Duties / Responsibilities |
|Under the supervision of the Chief, Digital Networks & Society Department, the Head of Future Networks & Spectrum Management (Access) Division serves as leader for the team. The incumbent will perform the following duties: |
- Lead and provide strategic guidance to the team to ensure the successful implementation and monitoring of activities and projects objectives as well as the effective management of the resources of the Division, in line with Result Based Management (RBM) and Result Based Budgeting (RBB) disciplines and within the Digital Networks and Society Department mandate.
- Provide leadership and strategic guidance in the organization and coordination of the Division's core activities related to the fields of the post, including elaboration of projects, creation of innovative partnerships and organization of workshops and meetings.
- Work in close collaboration with relevant Study Groups of ITU-R, ITU-T and ITU-D and with specialized secretariats of Radiocommunication and Telecommunication Standardization Bureaus; provide information and advice on subjects of importance to developing countries for the planning, organization, development, and operation as well as management of their future/broadband networks, sound/television broadcasting systems/networks and of their spectrum management systems and tools, and on conformance and interoperability, and last mile connectivity.
- Provide telecommunication/ICT advice, expertise and assistance to Member States relating to the planning, organization and development of their systems and infrastructures.
- Serve, as per his/her competence, as a Focal Point to relevant Study Questions of ITU-D Study Groups.
- Develop principles and techniques for broadband networks, effective spectrum management, sharing criteria and methods, techniques for spectrum monitoring and long-term strategies for spectrum utilization and economic approaches to national spectrum management, conformance and interoperability providing access to broadband networks including last mile connectivity, as well as, in association with the appropriate bodies of the ITU, facilitate the collection and dissemination of information concerning appropriate computer applications prepared for the implementation of relevant Recommendations.
- Coordinate technical activities involving the preparation of manuals, guides, and appropriate telecommunication systems by introducing computer applications in network planning, operations and maintenance through development/modification of appropriate software programmes, (computer-supported database management system).
- Contribute to the development and implementation of training programmes in the fields of the post.
- Contribute to world and regional telecommunication development conferences, Study Groups, as well as in specialized seminars, symposia, and meetings, presenting relevant papers in the field of his/her specialty.
- Organize, coordinate and lecture at seminars and symposia on new technological developments, methods, standards, and tools in the fields of the position.
- Keep abreast of technological developments and trends in the fields of expertise.
- Work flexibly and responsibly according to business needs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
| Competencies |
|Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Leadership; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing, and; Successful Management.Essential Technical Competencies: Knowledge of technology solutions for connectivity. Knowledge of various broadcasting techniques and spectrum management tools and systems. Up-to-date knowledge of modern technological trends, methods and applications envisaged for both the sound and television broadcasting industry and the spectrum management standards and tools. Understanding of ITU radio regulations. Very good interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity. Proven ability to prepare written reports that are clear, concise, and meaningful and to communicate orally effectively. |
|Qualifications required |
| Education: |
Advanced university degree in Radiocommunication or related field in Science or Engineering, with evidence of specialization in the engineering aspects of sound and television broadcasting or of specialization in spectrum management, OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with fifteen years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
| Experience: |
At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, operation, engineering and management of sound and television systems and networks as well as in spectrum management methods, tools, and systems, including at least five years in an international environment. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience.
| Languages: |
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
| Additional Information: |
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 88,162 + post adjustment $ 78,905
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to http://www.itu.int/en/careers/Pages/Conditions-of-Employment.aspx
| Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening. |
|For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link |
|Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration |
Sorry, this job is no longer available.