This is an interim backfill role to cover for an employee who will be out on parental leave. The duration of the assignment is targeted for 11 months starting in March. However, the start and end dates may change.
Role Title: Interim Program Officer / Senior Program Officer, Global Education Learning Initiative
Division: Foundation Strategy Office
Group: Global Education
Location: Seattle or Washington D.C.
Reports To: Director, Global Education
Duration: 11 months starting in March 2021
The Global Education Learning Initiative is an effort to support the improvement of learning outcomes in Sub-Saharan Africa / South Asia in primary schools.
The Program Officer / Senior Program Officer (PO / SPO) will drive the team’s grantmaking and critical thinking on data, accountability system research and our Africa Work. This will include maintaining relationship with our institutional engagements with the World Bank, UNESCO, GPE and UNICEF.
1. Own the team strategy on (a) our country investment in SSA, including local data; (b) our investments in global comparable data; (c) our investment around ‘global’ and ‘regional’ accountability; (d)investments in system and policy research This will include leading existing grants and relationships and may include the development of new grants.
2. Participate into strategic discussions and leadership engagement within the GELI team
3. Interact and communicate clearly and consistently with grantees and partners in the field.
Core Knowledge and Skills
1. Strong understanding (or ability to learning about) aid architecture and key international development institutions
2. Good understanding of research methods, a degree in economics or a quantitative social science is helpful
3. Proven experience working with partners at the highest level in institutional organization
4. Familiarity with foundation processes
5. Confirmed consulting skills and initiative to tackle sophisticated problems with little oversight, creativity, high energy, and a positive attitude.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong ability to efficiently synthesize information.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven track record to build and sustain collaborative relationships
8. Demonstrated flexibility and resilience in dealing with ambiguity
9. Experience in the education sector is helpful (ideally internationally)
10. Some experience/ prior exposure working with education data is preferred
11. Experience working in SSA or developing countries context is a plus
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 5 years of experience, or equivalent
2. Preference for internal candidate
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
* Sexual Orientation
* Gender Identity
* Gender Expression
* National Origin
* Genetic Information
* Veteran Status
* Marital Status
* Prior Protected Activity