Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The project “Building the capacities of the Government of Belize to address the challenges associated with migration and climate change in vulnerable coastal communities” (MECC project) funded by IOM under the IOM Development Fund aims at contributing to an improved management of internal migration in the context of climate change and disasters through enhanced evidence, developed capacities and policy planning.
nder the direct supervision of the IOM Head of Office in Belize, the NationalProject Officer will oversee he implementation of the project activities in Belize. The National Project Officer will carry out the duties in close coordination with other IOM staff in country as well as in other countries in the region and in the IOM Regional Office for North America, Central America and the Caribbean in San Jose, Costa Rica.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
· Responsible for all planning, coordination, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of project activities, in accordance to the work plans and courses of action established in the project documents.
· Engage and maintain direct dialogue with national authorities to support the implementation of the project, including diverse government departments with responsibilities on migration, climate change, disaster risk management and organize government meetings on the topic.
· Participate in the development of terms of reference, selection and monitoring of work of hired consultants as needed in accordance to IOM internal administrative requirements and project activities.
· Provide technical input to working documents, studies and technical reports as required in the framework of project activities on the topics of migration, environment and climate change.
· Plan and implement capacity-building and awareness-raising activities for authorities, shelter representatives and social organisations, and other actors, as part of the supporting actions foreseen in the project on the topics of migration, environment and climate change.
· Design and implementation of internal and external communications activities related to the project and the issue of climate migration (presentations, press notes, etc).
· Contribute to maintaining and strengthening effective cooperation relations with key national counterparts (government and civil society), UNHRC, UNICEF and other involved international entities, to explore synergies and avoid duplicity of actions.
· Work in close coordination with Resource Management Officers to monitor the expenditure rate of the project and the preparation of technical and financial project reports.
· Preparation of reports for submission through PRIMA
· Maintain continuous dialogue and provide periodic information to the Head of Office on the progress of actions, and the identified issues and solutions taken.
· Contribute to knowledge management processes as well as the organization and maintenance of files.
· Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Profession on Social Sciences, Environmental Studies or similar fields, of a recognized university, with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
· A minimum of 3 years of proven professional experience on migration, climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction and/or human rights with proven knowledge and experience in the topic of migration and human rights, preferably focused on environmental migration and/or disaster displacement.
· Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national and international institutions and NGOs.
· General studies on migration will be an advantage
· Preparation of project proposals and project management
· Good handling of data processing programs, Excel, Access, Word, Power Point as well as other programs from the Office package and other systems.
Fluency in English and Spanish (oral and written)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must submit their application (resume, letter of interest and 3 references) by e-mail to: email@example.com
The email subject must be: “SVN-2020-03”.
Deadline for sending applications: 28th October 2020.
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.