|The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels. |
We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors.
International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development.
It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
NOTE - International IDEA is collaborating with Action Appointments in this recruitment process. All applications and queries should be directed to email@example.com
International IDEA is managing a three-year Sida funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; strengthen women political participation and representation; enhance the capacity of the National Election Commission to deliver credible elections; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will manage the development and implemention of the country programme results management framework. The incumbent will also will provide leadership on the country programme reporting requirements for both the donor and International IDEA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops monitoring and evaluation frameworks, processes and practices for the Sudan country programme that responds to both donor and International IDEA needs; Coordinates and leads all project and programme evaluations and the monitoring of results;
- Supports programme planning and the compilation of partner inputs;
- Supports effective collaboration between the programme partners on monitoring and evaluation;
- Liases with the donors on monitoring, evaluation and the communication of results;
- Supports the internal and external communication of programme results;
- Leads the development and production of all reporting under the programme – including quarterly, yearly and final project reports;
- Participates in the continuous development of policies, guidelines, standards and tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation and results-based management in collaboration with International IDEA’s HQ and the donor;
- Contributes to trainings for national partners on monitoring and evaluation related processes; Contributes to internal training;
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender and diversity perspective in all monitoring, reporting and evaluation activities;
- Conducts risk management in line with the organisational risk management policies and procedures.
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and experience of monitoring, evaluation and learning systems and approaches, including outcome mapping tools and processes;
- Leads strategic planning, results-based management and reporting; guides the formulation and monitoring projects;
- Builds strong relationships with programme partners, focuses on impact and results;
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her duties;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional and donor guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field/international experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to monitoring and evaluation and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in development studies, business administration, public policy, international development or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum of five (5) years professional experience in monitoring and evaluation, responsible for implementing monitoring and evaluation activities of international development projects, preferably with a focus on support to democratic institutions and civil society organizations on issues related to elections and civic education;
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project monitoring and evaluation systems from project initiation to closeout stages is essential;
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies is essential;
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans is considered an advantage;
- Experience in planning and managing surveys on behavioral impact of programmes implemented is considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract:
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan.
Contract duration: Fixed term appointment until 30 September 2022.
Remuneration: GROSS Salary 2 752 USD per month.
Applying for this position:
- NOTE - International IDEA is collaborating with Action Appointments in this recruitment process. All applications and queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications should be submitted no later than 13 October 2020. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.