The Government of Guyana has received Readiness funding from the Green Climate Fund to enhance climate resilience of the agriculture sector (inclusive of fisheries and livestock) through the strengthening of the National Climate Change Committee (NCCC). The Objective of this consultancy is to strengthen the NCCC by developing standard operation procedures (SOP) for the functioning of the NCCC and to plan dialogue events.
Under the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) in the FAO Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, supported by the GCF Project Task Manager in the Barbados Sub-regional Office, under the direct supervision of the FAO Country Representative and in close collaboration with the National Designated Authority for the Green Climate Fund, Ministry of the Presidency, Guyana, the Gender Specialist and the National Project Coordinator
Tasks and responsibilities
- Preparation of a Work Plan outlining the methodology of proposed activities to deliver the tasks under the consultancy.
- Develop a stakeholder consultation plan for all activities (disaggregated by activity) with the support of the gender specialist where all concerned agro-environmental institutions will be consulted. The consultations should be led by the consultant, in collaboration with the FAO National Project Coordinator and the gender specialist. The OCC will provide logistical and administrative support for the consultations and would include at least: Office of Climate Change (OCC), Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Agriculture, and the National Climate Change Committee.
- Develop standard operation procedures (SOP) for the functioning of the NCCC which will include relevant sub-committees and their functions. Committees on finance, accredited entities, technical review of concept notes are to be established. Develop management and monitoring mechanisms, institutionalizing regular meetings and consultations with stakeholders for the National Climate Change Committee (NCCC).
- Develop Terms of reference and facilitate the creation of Climate Finance and other sub-committees (linked to sectors beyond agriculture) in Guyana as part of national efforts to facilitate donor coordination and collaboration considering their mandates and accreditation types. To review, approve and prioritize project concept notes.
- Plan and coordinate two (2) annual national “structured dialogue” events between NDA, Accredited Entities and the GCF Secretariat regarding national strategies and priorities and progress and experiences made (feedback exchange). Prepare report on each event to include full list of participants, topics discussed, recommendations and a short questionnaire.
- Plan and coordinate Caribbean structured dialogues organised by GCF and organize and conduct complementary inter-country knowledge exchange events with other Caribbean countries (3 virtual events to share tools and experiences and take stock of good practices and lessons in shaping strategic climate change adaptation, mitigation and cross cutting GCF projects across the Caribbean region and Mesoamerica. Prepare report on each event to include full list of participants, topics discussed, recommendations and a short questionnaire.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in social studies, sustainable development, or related field
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in organizational development, strategy development, or related field.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for COF.REG. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Preferably knowledge of Sustainable development, Climate Change, Agriculture strategies
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work with national and international organizations, Government authorities
- Good command of MS Office tools and use of on-line information systems.
- Experience working in Guyana with local stakeholders
- Selection Criteria 1: Education\: Level completed, relevancy and quality.
- Selection Criteria 2: Previous Work Experience\: Amount, location, relevancy and quality
- Selection Criteria 3: Communication\: Written, oral and interpersonal.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
FAO aims to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With over 194 member states, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide.
"We believe that everyone can play a part in ending hunger."