Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org Protocol Country Office Crisis Management Team Operational support Time management and logistic planning Data and information management
The World Bank's office in Port Moresby has more than 20 staff, and is by managed by a Country Manager, with support from the regional World bank office in Sydney, Australia.
The World Bank’s active projects in PNG includes a broad range of investments focused on road maintenance and rehabilitation, water supply and sanitation, agriculture, urban youth employment, rural service delivery and local governance, rural communications, the energy sector, health, tourism, and access to finance for small-to-medium enterprises. In addition, the World Bank is providing analytical and advisory support to the Government of PNG focused on renewable energy, financial services, strengthening the country’s health systems, debt management and building the capacity of civil society organizations, including women business coalitions.
The successful candidate will have a dual function in providing operational support to project teams, as well support functions for facilities / assets, logistics and administration management in the Front Office. The successful candidate will report to the Country Manager for Papua New Guinea.
Facilities / Assets management and service delivery
Working under guidance of the Country Manager and in close coordination with the Resource Management Assistant:
• Monitors the condition of assets owned by WB PNG; monitors office inventory and use, reporting on changes (e.g. stock taking and tracking) and works with RM in ensuring replenishment of office supplies, etc.;
• Monitors and reports on delivery of contracted office services, including office cleaning services (common building areas as well as within office premises) and staff transportation services; engages with service providers as necessary to ensure necessary service standards.
• Fleet management: ensures monthly vehicles report and preparation of the logistics monthly report; ensures proper maintenance and management of vehicles and drivers e.g. repair, maintenance, monthly mileage check, fuel use, vehicle usage purposes as well as licenses and insurance coverage;
• Ensures full compliance to minimum training standards for staff in regards to driving, first aid, warden and other mandatory certifications.
• Follows-up of accidents/incidents, informing insurance company, prepares and sends all relevant documents;
• Monitors strict adherence to procedures for Drivers logbook and overtime recording and provides regular report to management;
• Provides assistance on all protocol matters with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant Authorities; Arranges protocol formalities related to official accreditation and privileges, immunity and exemptions (visa, driving licenses, importation of vehicle and personal effects, etc.) and any additional requirements that may arise from state of emergencies.
• Assists in the briefing and settling in of newly recruited personnel;
• Supports the Crisis Management Team through participation in the CMT meetings, preparing minutes and communications, and ensuring that information is shared effectively amongst CMT members as needed.
• Monitors and reports any observed deficiencies in security and life safety infrastructure (including gates/doors, keys, alarms, security cameras, vehicle barriers, fire detection and suppression equipment) to the Security Specialist and Head of Office, and works with RM and relevant counterparts in ensuring maintenance/ repairs, etc.
• Provide support for preparation and implementation of World Bank projects and activities according to Bank procedures
• Provide direct support to projects missions in PNG, including monitoring, editing and formatting correspondences, review of data, preparation of presentations, charts and tables, write-up of the aide-memoires for the review,
• Draft minutes of meetings and provide assistance in editing large documents
• Incorporate agreed comments into documents, making full use of shared drives and software capabilities
• Keep abreast of the Organization’s directives and ensure effective processing of all project documents
• Carry out with Operations teams the review of project documents, as well as carry out the review of packages with teams to make sure that the program documents include all comments; ensure that the necessary clearances are obtained and forwarded timely to the Country Manager for signature
• Perform reviews of project Statement of Expenses (SOE) to confirm the eligibility of expenses incurred
• Support Task Team Leaders (TTL) in monitoring budget dynamics (variable costs in particular)
• Upload and manage information in web-based project operations portals (including routine supervision-related requests such as date extensions etc.)
• Assist TTLs in getting support and guidance from World Bank Headquarters in Washington (Operations and Policy Country Services (OPCS), Global Practice (GP), Resource Management (RM) and Administrative Client Support (ACS)) on portal, project processing and other issues
• Participate in project field missions as per the request of supervisor
• Mentors and or helps to train more junior staff on above operational procedures, ops portal, etc.
• Arrange working schedule and meeting with counterparts for the visiting teams
• Co-ordinate time management and schedules, taking current and future priorities into account, anticipate and monitor changes, and communicate the information
• Track assigned tasks/project steps/ timetables using modern office management technologies, coordinate with relevant staff, provide assistance and/or information on project-related matters
• Solve non-routine problems creatively and resourcefully and assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, board presentation and signing, etc. Assist in delivery of events and workshops organized by the team, advise to keep them up to date on the recent operational policy, procedures and quality review issues
• Coordinate agendas for visiting missions
• Coordinate meetings with high officials and external clients
• Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders into the central database, including processing new project status reports
• Maintain up-to-date divisional project files (both paper and electronic) and retrieve data from various sources and compile these for use by the Country Manager and/or the Country Management Unit (CMU)
• Maintain a sector relevant database of contacts for PNG
• Create and maintain standard distribution lists for each project and cross-verification
• Maintain up-to-date filing system task team leaders (TTLs) based in/outside PNG related to correspondences and reports
• Disseminate in a timely manner the internal and external distribution of correspondences to the concerned parties with the proper electronic filing (WBdocs)
• Provide immediate response to TTLs on projects’ status
• Ensure clear communication with clients in compliance with Bank’s guidelines
• Respond to all inquiries and ensure good communication between Country Office and Sector Units
• Contribute/support the teams for the MENA input and response to the Regional Corporate Scorecard
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Country Office Crisis Management Team
Time management and logistic planning
Data and information management
• High school diploma with 7 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Prior work experience in bi- or multi-lateral donor organizations in PNG highly desirable, especially in operational support of program delivery.
• Technology and systems knowledge – Demonstrate advanced knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.). Has ability and willingness to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology
• Project and task management - Exhibit good organizational, problem-solving, analytical skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrate attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule
• Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates ability to quickly learn programs, products, policies, processes, and procedures. Understanding of Government of PNG departments and staff a key advantage. Ability to apply/implement policies and procedures effectively
• Versatility and adaptability - Demonstrate flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrate motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change
• Client Orientation (ACS) - Exhibit good communication skills, positive and professional client service attitude; is able to understand clients’ needs and complete them professionally
• Learning, knowledge sharing and communication - Good English language skills (verbal and written). Able to write clearly, edit and proofread draft communications. Able to learn and share knowledge/information across the unit
• Business judgment and analytical decision making - Able to manage information and support retention and disposition of information and records. Can search, report, and deliver basic information from various sources and independently respond to basic inquiries
• Drive for Results - Able to take personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborate with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view
• Proactively looks for opportunities to enhance relevant functional knowledge and practical experience.
• Versatility and adaptability
Demonstrates initiative and motivation in proactively learning new developments in relevant policies, procedures and technology. Able to identify problems and proactively prevent and/or solve them. Actively looks for ways to work smarter and more efficiently. Able to support and actively participate in change activities.
• Lead and innovate
Applies problem solving skills to engage self and others in developing solutions. Considers own behavior in context of WBG's values and mission and recognizes impact on others. Adapts own work to new approaches/processes.
• Deliver results for clients
Displays understanding of client context and environment and interacts with them tactfully and diplomatically. Understands the department's priorities and how they relate to those of the organization. Demonstrates an independent sense of urgency and initiative; takes ownership for meeting agreed-upon deadlines for routine issues.
• Collaborate within teams and across boundaries
Seeks opportunities to collaborate within own department and displays an open, helpful attitude toward others. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Involves others and seeks additional perspectives when needed. Considers the impact of work on WBG.
• Create, apply, and share knowledge
Provides guidance and coaching to more inexperienced staff in areas of assigned responsibility or expertise. Shares knowledge and information with others across the work unit or department. Provides feedback on the work of others; recognizes importance of multiple perspectives.
• Make smart decisions
Locates and accesses appropriate sources of information, data and lessons to support decision-making. Demonstrates a basic understanding of risk and risk management concepts. Takes action with a sense of urgency in time-sensitive situations.
• High school diploma with 7 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
With 189 member countries, staff from more than 170 countries, and offices in over 130 locations, the World Bank Group is a unique global partnership: five institutions working for sustainable solutions that reduce poverty and build shared prosperity in developing countries.
World Bank's mission is to end extreme poverty by reducing the share of the global population that lives in extreme poverty to 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity by increasing the incomes of the poorest 40 percent of people in every country.