The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The post is located in the FAO’s Project Office in the Green Climate Fund (GCF) National Designated Authority (NDA) Office, Department of Environment (all FAO-Iran employees shall follow the UN work week which is from Sunday to Thursday and holiday schedule). Employees working in the project offices located in Government buildings shall work at the FAO Representation on Government holidays and weekends).
Under the direct supervision of the FAO National Project Officer and overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the incumbent will perform the tasks described below.
The National Climate Information System Consultant will work closely with the National Project Director (NPD) and National Project Coordinator (NPC), other international and national consultants under the project in the FAO/Department of Environment-DOE office,; and a wide range of stakeholders, both Government and non-government, to develop a comprehensive climate information system, to be hosted by DoE. (S)he will be assigned to undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Based on the initial mapping of climate change policies, programmes/projects and stakeholders conducted by the project, design and conduct an inventory of existing data and information on climate change (projections, impacts, vulnerability and risk assessments, emission, etc), on climate change related programmes/projects and their impacts, if available.
- Analyze the current climate information systems in Iran (such as DoE website), including regulatory frameworks and institutional mechanisms for data generation, sharing and dissemination, identify gaps and areas for improvement in climate change related information sharing;
- Analyze the current use of climate data/information in planning and investment decision making – including in the design, approval and implementation of climate change adaptation and mitigation - with focus on the sectors prioritized in the NDC;
- Identify options for a web-based information system to support the promotion of coordinated and evidenced based climate change planning, programming and investments in Iran including the development of GCF country programme, the use of No Objection Procedures and Monitoring, Verification and Reporting on climate finance flows;
- Conduct consultations and support the NDA and the project in setting up this web-based climate information system, drawing on existing national systems and ensuring proactive participation of ministries, organizations and other stakeholders in sharing data/information and using the information systems.
- Provide training/coaching to NDA office and other concerned ministries on the use and maintenance of the climate data/information system.
- Develop user manual/guidelines and other materials to support NDA and concerned government ministries in the operations and maintenance of the climate information system.
- Perform other related tasks as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in information system, computer science or a related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience in information system management/website development.
- Excellent knowledge of laws and governance framework for data, information generation, sharing and dissemination, both among Government agencies and with the wider public in Iran.
- National of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Working knowledge of English and Persian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Excellent skills in developing web-based interactive information systems
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with web content management systems
- Knowledge of climate change issues and related data/information. Familiarity with climate change and climate finance flow Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) is an asset
- Strong analytical skills and ability to prepare and present findings and reports in multi-stakeholder consultation workshops and trainings
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of inter-agency collaboration and ability to work with and mobilize the engagement of a variety of stakeholders
- Updated knowledge of softwares;
- Experience in developing and operationalizing information on climate change or environmental issues.
- Experience of working with the UN agencies or other international organizations is an asset.