The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The post is located in the FAO’s Project Office in the Green Climate Fund (GCF) National Designated Authority (NDA) Office, Department of Environment (all FAO-Iran employees shall follow the UN work week which is from Sunday to Thursday and holiday schedule. Employees working in the project offices located in Government buildings shall work at the FAO Representation on Government holidays and weekends).
Under the direct supervision of the FAO National Project Officer and overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the incumbent will perform the tasks described below.
The National Climate Finance Consultant works closely with the National Project Director (NPD) and National Project Coordinator (NPC) and other project international/national consultants in the FAO/Department of Environment (DOE) Project Office and a wide range of Government officials, and non-government stakeholders to achieve the following project deliverables (i) A report on strategic climate investments in Iran including existing and planned investments, criteria and priorities for adaptation and mitigation; (ii) A Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRC) system of climate finance flows in Iran that is included in the climate information system to be developed under the project, (iii) The design and delivery of trainings on climate finance, access to the GCF and MRV system.
(S)he will be assigned to undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Review the policy, legislative and institutional framework for climate change including Government commitments for related global frameworks;
- Review the initial mapping of climate change programmes/projects in Iran;
- Familiarize with the GCF goal, mission, outcomes and investment criteria;
- Lead further data collection (if required) and analysis of current climate change investments in Iran, covering public and private investments and initiatives by development partners, NGOs, civil society and the private sector; identify gaps and areas for further investments in climate change adaptation and mitigation in Iran;
- Work with the other International/National consultants to develop criteria for screening and prioritizing climate investments (both mitigation and adaptation), ensuring synergies with the criteria for review of GCF project ideas/concept notes/proposals;
- Contribute to the Guidelines for reviewing GCF project ideas/concept notes/proposals, NOP and GCF Country Programme development;
- Familiarize with Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems under the UNFCC. Develop an MRV system of climate finance flows in Iran with focus on institutional mechanisms and capacities for sharing, recording and analyzing data/information on climate change adaptation and mitigation programmes/projects and their impacts;
- Work with the Information System Consultant in incorporating the climate finance flows MRV system into the Climate Information System.
- Contribute to a rapid climate expenditure review, as needed, ensuring engagement of the ministries under the guidance of the NDA;
- Prepare the strategic climate investment report, ensuring alignment with national policies, legislation and sustainable development priorities;
- Contribute to capacity gaps and needs assessment with focus on capacities for climate investment conceptualization, planning, design and decision making (in both public and the private sector) including accessing global climate finance;
- Design and deliver trainings on climate finance and MRV system.
- Work with the other International/National consultants in developing GCF trainings;
- Support other International/National consultants in designing and conducting trainings on accessing the GCF;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in environmental economics, political sciences, or a related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in climate change policies, finance or programme development and management.
- National of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Working knowledge of English and Persian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Familiarity with policy frameworks investment criteria of the GCF
- Ability to interact tactfully and effectively with multiple institutional actors from diverse sectors and at diverse levels, to to promote dialogue, information sharing and collaboration
- Knowledge of private sector investments in Iran
- Experience in institutional management and strengthening
- Proven capacity to conduct fieldwork and ability to work in teams and establish working relationships central and local government institutions, civil society organizations, the private sector and other
- Good command of computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power point, Internet)
- Excellent knowledge of policies, regulatory frameworks, organizational structure, roles and responsibilities of various institutions engaged in development planning and investments decision making in Iran, especially in climate change, environment and related sectors.
- Knowledge of global finance mechanisms related to climate change and MRV systems
- Very good knowledge of NDA and GCF.
- Experience in working in the ministries and related organizations to the climate change affair and public and private stakeholders would be an asset.