IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) works with over 700 Financial Intermediaries (FIs) which combined have over US$5 trillion in total assets in emerging markets, and is an important part of IFC’s business as it enables IFC to leverage itself to increase the depth and breadth of its impact.
Climate Business is one of the strategic priorities of the WBG, with a target to increase its climate business to at least 30% of total financing commitments, and to mobilize at least US$13 billion in private sector financing annually. In order for IFC to reach its climate commitments, FIG has embarked on a strategy to significantly increase its climate business through financial institutions. FIG runs a global program to provide advisory services (AS) and investment services (IS) to FIs to scale up their financing of climate friendly projects. This program comprises of technical specialists as well as investment and advisory staff who work with IFC’s client FIs to build viable and scalable climate finance operations. It draws on expertise across IFC’s different industry and specialist groups, and leverages partnerships with various market players such as energy utility companies, energy service companies, equipment vendors, international supply chains and various players who support the promotion of climate smart investments and emission reduction.
IFC is seeking an Associate Industry Specialist with specialization in climate smart agriculture and climate risks to support the implementation of a successful FIG Climate Business program as set out in its current strategy cycle for FY21-25. The Associate Industry Specialist will work with a multi-disciplinary team led by the FIG Climate Business Unit Head and support the global specialists in developing new AS/IS products related to climate smart agriculture (CSA) and climate risk management. He/she is expected to support the FIG global and regional specialists in generating, implementing and monitoring a portfolio of investment and advisory projects with financial institutions (FIs) linked to the climate smart agri and climate risk areas. He/she will have responsibility for supporting the FIG team on the development of the CSA product strategy, supporting global/regional business development activities, and providing technical expertise and support to the AS and IS transactions involving CSA and climate risk mitigation through the entire project life cycle from business development through supervision.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• The overall objective of the position is to develop new investment business for FIG by developing the climate smart agri and climate risk business lines. This creation of new investment business will be the key deliverable.
• Support the global and regional specialist initiatives to gather market data concerning climate smart agriculture investment opportunities that are relevant to FI/NBFI business and provide technical and specialist support using the data for investment related decisions.
• Work with external consultants and Manufacturing and Services Dept. (MAS) teams to undertake CSA sector studies and generate knowledge as needed to support business development.
• Cooperate with MAS and Climate Business Department (CBD) in developing/improving relevant tools for CSA impact measurement, and in identifying opportunities for joint AS/IS projects of FIG and MAS.
• As Associate Industry Specialist help develop and provide technical advice to global and regional teams on climate risk screening criteria for FIG projects and transactions.
• Support the climate team’s implementation of donor-funded projects that are designed to support CSA finance and climate risk management in FIs by providing specialist advice to improve quality.
• Organize external/internal knowledge events/workshops/seminars/webinars to share IFC/WBG experience in CSA area with FIG clients and development partners.
• Help develop value propositions and pitchbooks for FIG CSA finance and advisory services with focus on specialist aspects of the climate business.
• Work with CBD in developing technical training materials on CSA taxonomies, climate risk management for FIs, carbon accounting and disclosure in FIs/NBFIs.
• Participate in delivering CSA advisory services and Climate risk advisory services to regional clients as needed.
• Support cross product/ cross theme collaboration to strengthen FIG/IFC value added to clients (i.e. Agri- Clean Energy nexus, CSA-Gender nexus, CSA-MSMEs nexus)
• Support FIG investment teams (including trade) in increasing CSA finance business line.