This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement.
Close relatives of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
The position is assigned in the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD)
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The Senior Project Officer (Urban Infrastructure) will assist the Resident Mission (RM) in handling loan/Technical Assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities, covering public and private sector operations, with focus on urban sector. The incumbent will report to a designated International Staff and may supervise administrative staff.
- Provides support to fact-finding and appraisal missions, including but not limited to review of technical designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project costing, procurement packaging and related technical issues.
- Liaises with and supports HQ and field offices of ADB, Government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and TA projects.
- Monitors the progress of assigned projects and prepares project performance reports.
- Prepares and updates forecasts of contract awards & disbursements, identifying factors responsible for shortfalls and expediting achievement of target levels where possible.
- Identifies issues and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing agencies (EAs), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; prepares measures to address the issues and implementing the measures.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of loan closing dates, reallocation of loan proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Provides advice to government ministries, executing agencies (EAs) and sector entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, preparation of tender documents, etc. to ensure effective implementation.
- Assists EAs in the areas listed above for project administered by various sector divisions in the HQ.
- Assists in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA completion Reports as assigned and supports or participates in Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as a mission member when required
- Provides support for policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional issues. Maintains close cooperation with other international donors and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in urban sector work.
- Contributes to urban sector work in the field by assisting in conducting research, updating information on the assigned sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economics uses, and preparing reports on the subjects.
- Assists in the preparation of urban sector assessments within the context of development aid effectiveness and national sector strategy to be utilized for programming purposes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors.
- Prepares inputs for urban sector database for portfolio management. Where required, acts as the focal point for the assigned sector(s) and maintains close relationships with the relevant Government agencies and HQ staff.
- Helps to organize, contributes to, supports, and participates in meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops. Organizes and conducts training workshops for EAs in areas relating to procurement and project administration/management.
- Produces reports, as required, on the tasks undertaken in relation to the above and performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent's workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, urban planning or related infrastructure and management fields; relevant fields.
- Master's degree would be an advantage, along with experience in urban project planning, design and associated procurement and contract management.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in project management and implementation
- Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning / feasibility analysis / detailed design / project implementation / construction supervision / contract management) is desirable.
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures
- Familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement and disbursement processes. PASS qualification is desirable.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 3-4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration per year for this vacancy and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
The position is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open to persons who are both nationals and residents of Bangladesh.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.