EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Vacancy in the Directorate of Internal Services.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
Payable Accountant Team Leader
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Payable Accountant Team Leader in the ESTEC Financial Operations Section in the Finance Operations Division, Finance, Planning and Controlling Department, Directorate of Internal Services
The postholder will be responsible for daily management of a team of Section staff and for work organisation and control in the following specific areas:
- analysing, validating and approving all Agency payments to suppliers in compliance with ESA’s accounting policy, Financial Regulations, instructions and procedures (internal rules), carrying out related financial operations and interfaces with suppliers;
- end-of-period adjustments, offsetting prepayments against progress invoices and vendor clearing, analysis of balances, clearing accrued costs versus invoices received and other accounting practices related to accounts payable;
- contributing to verification of contracts/purchase orders and CCNs to ensure compliance with financial requirements and affordability, in close cooperation with the Corporate Planning & Controlling Division;
- contributing to monthly and yearly closure of ESA accounts payable, ensuring reconciliation, providing specific notes relating to ESA Financial Statements, interfacing with internal/external auditors;
- contributing to objectives-setting and annual assessment of team staff;
- contributing to drafting instructions, procedures and guidelines for the Sections/Division;
- responding to queries from industry;
- preparing urgent payment lists;
- maintaining close liaison with the appropriate Cost Centre managers, project managers and administrators providing financial advice and information on the relevant processes;
- representing the Division in assigned tasks as appropriate;
- other ad hoc financial accounting tasks as requested by management.
Applicants should have a Master's degree or equivalent qualification in business administration, finance, accounting or a related field. An accounting qualification of Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) would be an asset.
At least ten years’ proven work experience in accounting at private or public-sector multinational organisations is required. A very good knowledge of SAP and esa-p with regard to the procure-to-pay process and related procedures is essential. The successful candidate will be highly numerate, having a strong accountancy background and the analytical skills required to operate a complex accounting system.
Applicants should demonstrate the leadership qualities required to head a small team (of professional finance staff) in an international environment and must be able to interact effectively with managers, administrators and suppliers. Good communication, negotiating and interpersonal skills are a prerequisite.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 18 October 2019.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.