Senior SDG Specialist - Beirut
Duty Station: Beirut– Lebanon
Section/Unit: UN Resident Coordinator’s Office/Deputy Prime Minister’s Office
Reports to: Deputy Prime Minister
Project reference: UNRCO
Budgeted Level: SC 11
Since the endorsement of the 2030 Agenda Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in September 2015, Lebanon has taken important steps towards their implementation.
The Council of Ministers (CoM) established a National Committee (NC) on the SDGs in November 2017 to coordinate national efforts on the SDGs, raise awareness, integrate the SDGs into national programs and plans, and contribute to the preparation of the Voluntary National Review. The National Committee is chaired by the Prime Minister and consists of representatives from all public institutions, civil society and private sector. The Prime Minister’s Office was assigned the Secretariat of the NC and has become the SDGs focal point for the international community. In March 2018, four technical working groups (People, Peace and strong institutions, Planet and Prosperity) and as well a Statistics Task Force were established under the NC.
Following the VNR and Government formation, the Government of Lebanon committed to developing a 2030 Vision, 5-year implementation plan and monitoring and reporting plan that would focus on Lebanon’s long-term development priorities, building on existing strategies and plans. The Deputy Prime Minister has been newly assigned as chair of the NC on SDGs to lead the development of the 2030 Vision, 5-year implementation plan and monitoring and reporting plan.
The United Nations in Lebanon is committed to providing capacity support to the development of the national 2030 Vision and plans. This position will be part of the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office project that will support the Deputy Prime Minister.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships
The position is located with the Deputy Prime Minister in Lebanon.
Under the direct supervision of Deputy Prime Minister, the Senior SDG Coordinator will focus on:
- Ensuring effective and regular coordination amongst the chairs of NC thematic groups and with the Deputy Prime Minister
- Ensuring collaboration with other Government and non-governmental partners and experts in the overall process
- Overseeing implementation and providing progress on the project
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensuring effective and regular coordination amongst the chairs of NC thematic groups and with the Deputy Prime Minister
- Update the national vision workplan as necessary
- Undertake strategic communication with thematic group chairs and Prime Minister’s Office on updates, changes to the work plan, and collaboration between groups
- Coordinate discussions with Deputy Prime Minister, thematic group chairs and Prime Minister’s Office, as necessary
- Ensure follow-up on decisions and action points of meetings with Deputy Prime Minister and thematic group chairs
- Identify and communicate key areas to thematic group chairs requiring coordination and discussion with other thematic groups
- Regularly inform and update the Deputy Prime Minister on overall progress, specifically on meetings and workshops, as well as on reports and key documents
Ensuring collaboration with other Government and non-governmental partners and experts in the overall process
- Review relevant documents, agendas and reports produced by experts, staff and consultants to ensure quality control and proper alignment to overall objective of developing 2030 vision
- Manage staff and consultants and oversee day-to-day activities concerning the development of the 2030 vision
- Supervise workshops and events related to the 2030 vision in coordination with consultants
- Highlight key areas that could benefit from further expertise for data and information sharing in coordination with thematic group and Data and Statistics TF chairs
- Act as a technical focal point for the international community on the development of the 2030 vision
- Coordinate involvement of non-governmental partners in the development process of the 2030 vision, as necessary
Overseeing implementation and providing progress on the project
- Monitor progress of workplan in drafting national vision and if delayed, ensure steps are taken to respond to the delays with relevant measures
- Supervise the preparation of progress reports, project completion reports or other reports required for the monitoring of the project
- Update the workplan as a living document (as needed)
- Communicate the progress of workplan regularly with Deputy Prime Minister
- Hold regular meetings with chairs of National Committee thematic groups and Deputy Prime Minister
- Coordinate regular meetings held with thematic group chairs
- Draft and endorse the 2030 Vision and plans at the National Committee
- Draft the baseline report and any other support documents in consultation with thematic group members
- Hold workshops and events related to the 2030 vision
- Develop regular updates and discussions with the international community on the process of the 2030 vision
- Submit quarterly progress reports to the RCO
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor
- Demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Strong problem solving, communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with strategic management issues and conceptual program design.
- Thorough knowledge of the Lebanese economic and social context/policies.
- Familiarity with external aid programs and procedures.
- Excellent organizational and report writing skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in development studies, social sciences or related fields, with 11 years of experience or a graduate degree with 8 years of experience
- Bachelor degree with a minimum of 11 years of experience or a graduate degree with 8 years of relevant experience in managing complex development projects
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Knowledge of French is a plus
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Share this job: